[cups.general] Konica Minolta Magicolor 1650EN

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Oct 7 02:16:59 PDT 2010

Hello,

On Oct 7 00:47 dh wrote (shortened):
> I??m new to Linux and have a problem with getting my Printer installed.
> The Printer is a Konica Minolta Magicolor 1650EN. I am using SUSU 11.3.

The question is not whether or not a particular printer model
works with CUPS but whether or not there is a driver plus a PPD file
for a non-PostScript printer available or only a PPD file for a
real PostScript printer.

Have a look at the openSUSE manuals or see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
and
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Purchasing_a_Printer_and_Compatibility

Regarding the Konica Minolta Magicolor 1650EN:
A search using Google found this German technical data page
http://www.konicaminolta.de/business-solutions/produkte/laserdrucker/farbe/magicolor-1650en/uebersicht.html
Druckeremulationen  PostScript 3, PCL 6 (XL2.1), PCL 5e/c, HPGL/2
Schnittstellen      Ethernet, USB 2.0 (High-Speed)
"Druckeremulationen" hopefully means "built-in printer languages"
(I am a bit uncertain because of the word "emulation") and
"Schnittstellen" means "connections".

Therefore the Konica Minolta Magicolor 1650EN
should be a real PostScript level 3 printer
(in case of doubt you must ask Konica Minolta).

In this case use the exact matching PPD file from Konica Minolta
for your model to get all its features supported, see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Purchasing_a_Printer_and_Compatibility

You may have to ask Konica Minolta how to get it
(e.g. somewhere on their driver CD or somewhere
on their Internet web pages).

You can set up the printer with a PPD file using the "lpadmin"
command as described in "Command-line Tools" at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Alternatively or additionally you may make the PPD file available
for CUPS so that various printer set up tools can use it to set
up the printer: Copy the PPD file to /usr/share/cups/model/
or use in YaST the [Add Driver] or [Driver Packages] function.

For plain printing you may use a generic PPD file for generic
PostScript printers but this would not support all features
of the specific model Konica Minolta Magicolor 1650EN
(e.g. a duplex unit or non-standard paper trays).

In YaST use the search function to find "generic" PPD files,
see the help text in YaST or see "Command-line Tools" at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
if you prefer to use the "lpadmin" command
with a /usr/share/cups/model/Postscript* PPD file
or a PPD file from /usr/share/cups/model/Generic/

By the way:
Regarding the printer's ethernet network connection, see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_via_TCP/IP_network
and
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/network.html

Kind Regards