[cups.general] escputil won't clean printer heads

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 09:02:29 PDT 2010

On my Debian Lenny system, I installed the following packages: cupsys
cupsys-bsd cupsys-client libcupsimage2 cups-driver-gutenprint
cupsys-driver-gutenprint gs-esp escputil.

Everything seems to go fine with printing, and also ink level is correctly
detected with: `escputil -i -r /dev/usb/lp0'.  Only, when I want to clean
heads, it fails.  The output looks good:

$ escputil -c -r /dev/usb/lp0
Escputil version 5.0.2, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Robert Krawitz
Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil -l'
under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.

Cleaning heads...

, but then nothing happens and the heads are not cleaned.

Then I tried with the browser interface:

 $ mozilla  http://localhost:631

and clicked on heads cleaning, but got the message:

 "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster failed"

I suspect this happens because the ink is short and the system is waiting for
it to run completely out.  But then, I have the following problem:

1) if the ink is not completely finished, I can't clean heads;

2) if I don't clean the heads, the paper is left blank and so the ink is not
   used and can't finish.

What to do in this case?

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo