[cups.general] Debugging the filter chain?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon Oct 18 12:30:43 PDT 2010

I've got a Brother MFC-6490CW printer, which I'm connecting to via LPD.
It works fine from my i386 Ubuntu system, but not my x86_64 Ubuntu box.
I'm trying to figure out why.

Having turned on debug logging, I notice that when printing a test page
the sad box says "Sending data file (0 bytes)". That certainly sounds
like a problem, and my first hypothesis is that there's some issue
rendering the test page to that printer.

I see in the logs that it starts a bunch of things (filters bannertops,
pstopdf, pdftopdf, cpdftocps, and brlpdwrappermfc6490cw, and the lpd
backend). Is there some easy way to me to peek into what's going on
there in terms of inputs, arguments called, and outputs?

Worst case I figure I'll run strace, but I figure there must be some
better magic for debugging issues like this.

Thanks,

William