[cups.general] CUPS 1.4.4 slow - problem checklist?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Tue Oct 19 01:40:00 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 10:12 -0700, John A. Murdie wrote:
> The problem seems to have been just two (!) users (in 150 or so)
> running GNOME's system-config-printer/applet.py. I killed the
> processes on the desktop PCs in question, and then saw other users
> print jobs go through with the CPU% at 3%, more quickly than I've seen
> in the few weeks since we did a new Linux install here (in which,
> presumably, the current version of the printer applet arrived for the
> first time). When I start the applet myself, cupsd CPU% rises steeply
> again.

Which version of system-config-printer was being used, and are you able
to find out any more about what is causing it?

Running 'system-config-printer-applet --debug' will run that applet
while giving debugging information about what it is doing.

Alternatively, the CUPS access_log and error_log might say why it was
busy.

One thing that is known to slow CUPS down is fetching a list of jobs; in
particular, as CUPS only performs one request at a time until
completion, a large jobs query can block CUPS for a long time.  The job
viewer that is part of system-config-printer breaks down job fetches
into smaller requests in order to work around this CUPS problem.

Tim.
*/