Printing PDF files to network printers

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Oct 25 05:47:56 PDT 2010

Elly K wrote:

> Hi list, I have a bunch of PDF files being written to a common folder by
> different applications.  The users needs each of these files to be printed
> to specific printers on the network.
>
> I am sure CUPS can print each of these files to specific printers on the
> network.  But how would CUPS know which PDF file needs to go to which
> printer?  Is there a way to do that?  Any ideas, pointers would be greatly
> appreciated... Thanks!

Surely it is possible to set up afacility that prints your PDFs to different
printers according to certain properties of the respective PDFs. But this is
a task highly special to your needs (may be it is necessary to read out
parts of the PDFs to determine the destination printer), so I think it is a
task that is far beyond "public domain help" and rather subject to an
individual contract for a fee.

Helge