Can't build PPD

Haines Brown haines at histomat.net
Wed Oct 27 10:59:18 PDT 2010

Usually CUPS installs without a problem, but not this time. On a new installation of debian squeeze, I installed cups, muttprint, printconf. My printer is a HP LaserJet 1320. My immediate test is printing a message from mutt, and so in ~/.muttrc I put this line: set print_command="muttprint".

In mutt, I did a print of a message and get:

  cat: write error: Broken pipe
  Muttprint Version 0.73 -- Error

  Line 725: Could not print with lpr:

So something's amiss, and so I do:

  $ lp junk
  lp: Error - no default destination available.

  # printconf
        Configuring HP LaserJet 1320 on usb:/dev/usb/lp0 with hplip
        driver as queue "laserjet_1320".
        There is neither a custom PPD file nor the driver database
        entry contains sufficient data to build a PPD file.

        Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.

I installed the hplip package and did:

        $ foomatic-ppdfile -P HP LaserJet | grep 1320
        HP LaserJet 1320 Id='HP-LaserJet_1320' Driver='hplip'
        CompatibleDrivers='gutenprint-ijs-simplified.5.2
        gutenprint-ijs.5.2 pxlmono Postscript hplip '

        $ footmatic-ppdfile -P 'HP-LaserJet_1320'
        ERROR: foomatic-ppdfile: There is neither a custom PPD file
        nor the driver database entry contains sufficient data to
        build a PPD file.

        $ sudo lpinfo -m | grep 1320
        lsb/usr/hplip/HP/hp-laserjet_1320n-ps.ppd HP LaserJet
                1320 series Postscript (recommended)

        $ ls /usr/share/ppd/hplip/HP | grep 1320
        hp-laserjet_1320n-ps.ppd

I was told to use lpinfo -p to set it to the queue, but man lpinfo has no
-p option. I struggled with the admin web page, but got nowhere. It looks like the PPD file for the HP 1320 is present but not being used.

Haines Brown