Can't build PPD

Paul pconklin at gentlemanslife.com
Wed Oct 27 11:13:30 PDT 2010

> Usually CUPS installs without a problem, but not this time. On a new installation of debian squeeze, I installed cups, muttprint, printconf. My printer is a HP LaserJet 1320. My immediate test is printing a message from mutt, and so in ~/.muttrc I put this line: set print_command="muttprint".
>
> In mutt, I did a print of a message and get:
>
>   cat: write error: Broken pipe
>   Muttprint Version 0.73 -- Error
>
>   Line 725: Could not print with lpr:
>
> So something's amiss, and so I do:
>
>   $ lp junk
>   lp: Error - no default destination available.
>
>   # printconf
>         Configuring HP LaserJet 1320 on usb:/dev/usb/lp0 with hplip
>         driver as queue "laserjet_1320".
>         There is neither a custom PPD file nor the driver database
>         entry contains sufficient data to build a PPD file.
>
>         Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
>
> I installed the hplip package and did:
>
>         $ foomatic-ppdfile -P HP LaserJet | grep 1320
>         HP LaserJet 1320 Id='HP-LaserJet_1320' Driver='hplip'
>         CompatibleDrivers='gutenprint-ijs-simplified.5.2
>         gutenprint-ijs.5.2 pxlmono Postscript hplip '
>
>         $ footmatic-ppdfile -P 'HP-LaserJet_1320'
>         ERROR: foomatic-ppdfile: There is neither a custom PPD file
>         nor the driver database entry contains sufficient data to
>         build a PPD file.
>
>         $ sudo lpinfo -m | grep 1320
>         lsb/usr/hplip/HP/hp-laserjet_1320n-ps.ppd HP LaserJet
>                 1320 series Postscript (recommended)
>
>         $ ls /usr/share/ppd/hplip/HP | grep 1320
>         hp-laserjet_1320n-ps.ppd
>
> I was told to use lpinfo -p to set it to the queue, but man lpinfo has no
> -p option. I struggled with the admin web page, but got nowhere. It looks like the PPD file for the HP 1320 is present but not being used.
>
> Haines Brown

FWIW...
I ran into problems with the HPLIP drivers (at least with the redhat distros)  the latest distro didnt' have all the parts to it.  Might check the logs for some missing files / libraries.  What i ended up having to do was find an old version of HPLIP and then force the new one over the top of it to make a full set.  Sorry I don't remember more than that, it was a while back.   I did find this in some of my notes from way back when.

Step 1: Run following commands (assuming that rpm's are on your desktop)
cd ~/Desktop/
su -c "rpm -ev --nodeps libsane-hpaio"
su -c "rpm -ev hplip-gui"
su -c "rpm -ev hplip"
su -c "yum install PyQt"
su -c "yum install xsane"

Step 2: Install hplip
For 32 bit distro users.

su -c "rpm -Uvh --force hplip-3.10.2_rhel-5.0.i386.rpm"

For 64 bit distro users.

su -c "rpm -Uvh --force hplip-3.10.2_rhel-5.0.x86_64.rpm"

Step 3: Post installation instructions
A. For normal users other than root add user name to "lp" group:

su -c "usermod -a -G lp username"
Restart you PC (or) logout and login.

Step 4: Configuring your printer using hp-setup
A. To configure the printer in the terminal run:

su -c "hp-setup"
The HPLIP and the printer should now be installed and configured.