[cups.general] CUPS, landscape, and zebra.ppd on linux

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Oct 28 09:33:45 PDT 2010

Charles Bryant wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're using Oracle's linux 5, PASTA, and CUPS to print PDFs. We have
> pdftops being called by PASTA to convert the PDF to a Postscript file
> prior to shipping the file to CUPS.
>
> The conversion is working fine, with one exception, the documents are
> formatted for landscape printing, but the zebra printer refuses to print
> anything by portrait. After we've adjusted the zebra.ppd file, we always
> make sure to bounce CUPS.
>
> We've tried copying the format line to swap the dimensions of the
> printable area, but that didn't correct the issue. We have been able to do
> landscape printing with some changes, but what comes out ends up being
> offset to the center of the landscaped page.
>
> So, I have two questions that might be solved with one answer; 1) Has
> anyone configured the zebra.ppd for doing landscape printing on 4 x 6
> labels with 0 margins? or 2) What do I changed the ppd to make sure the
> top and left margins are set at 0 for an offset when printing in
> landscape?
>
> Any assistance would be really appreciated.
>
> Charles

You are not the only one hit by this issue. We (I myself and Swadesh Katoch)
managed to get a landscape printout using Ghostscript's pdftoraster filter
for CUPS, but sadly the result is upside down.
Currently I'm trying to get the correct orientation by fiddling around with
Ghostscript options.

Helge