blank page on raw print queue

brett hassall brett.hassall at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 14:57:10 PDT 2010

> brett hassall wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I am trying to set up a Linux machine as an internet and print server for
> > windows clients. the internet server side is working really well now but
> > i'm stuck with a problem printing.
> >
> > Linux is Ubuntu Karmic. Printer is Fuji-Xerox DocuPrint 203A laser.
> >
> > Initially I was using a postscript driver on the windows client and the
> > Xerox P8E driver (foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e) on Karmic. This worked fine except
> > the laser would cycle down/up between every page and printing large files
> > was tediously slow.
> >
> > I thought using the OEM windows driver on the clients and a raw print
> > queue on Karmic would speed things up and it has in some ways but
> > behaviour is inconsistent: a) if I print a 2 page file, it prints ok but
> > there is a cycle down/up between the pages b) if I print a 3 page file. it
> > print the first page and a blank page, then cycles down/up, then prints
> > the next 2 pages without a pause between them. The print speed on the last
> > 2 pages is how the printer normally works under windows.
> >
> > This behaviour is repeatable.
> >
> > I've spent a few days on this but I'm not making any progress. Any
> > suggestions would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > brett
>
> I'd suggest to install the FujiXerox supplied Linux driver package. It
> contains - besides a PPD and filter scripts - a proprietary binary that
> converts ghostscript generated bitmaps (the bit device) to the printer's
> native format (note that this printer is originaly a brother product).
>
> As I do not own this printer, you need to test this configuration by
> yourself.
>
> Helge

Helge

Thanks for the tip.

I gave it a try but ended up with the same result as the raw printer i.e. it prints the first page and a blank page, then cycles down/up, then prints
the next 2 pages at full speed.

I learned a bit more about CUPS from the experience so it's not all bad.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Brett