[cups.general] Finding queue name on HP printers

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 21:03:37 PDT 2010

> How do I find the queue name on an HP printer?.
> This is needed for adding a printer from the command line.

Sorry, yes I misunderstood what you meant as the queue name. Some printers do have a number queue names. However, I have only seen this on larger copiers.

You could try 'print' as the queue name (I believe the default for Xerox - not 100%).

If the documentation has not listed the queue name within the documentation, then I would suggest visiting the printers IP address via a web browser and determine if it is listed on the printers web page.

Failing this you could contact HP and ask them for details.

My experience with HP printers is that you do not need to specify the queue name.

I hope this helps.

This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution.
http://www.lbackup.org

The Lucid central Christchurch data center in New Zealand was affected
by a recent earthquake. LBackup allowed services (including the
LBackup website) to be quickly be restored to new hardware.