Default tray setting not persistent

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Sep 21 04:03:39 PDT 2010

I've discovered that the default tray setting for an HP Colour LaserJet 3800dtn (PPD file HP_Color_LaserJet_3800.ppd, presumably taken ages ago from the CD that came with the printer) does not persist after a CUPS termination and/or restart - perhaps it was because the CUPS scheduler ran out of memory recently. Not knowing what else to do, I have used 'Modify Printer' to replace the PPD file with the one from the latest HPLIP (hp-color_laserjet_3800-ps.ppd), version 3.10.6. The setting does seem to persist over a CUPS restart with that PPD file. Was I seeing a bug here?

John A. Murdie