connecting to a CUPS 1.3.7 from the lan and internet

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Sep 21 13:15:33 PDT 2010

crp wrote:

>> Obviously you use the lpd protocol for printing from the windows side.
>> So, on your CentOS box, you need to properly configure the cups-lpd
>> daemon. You may copy over the repsective configuration data (xinetd
>> stuff, I suppose) from the fedory box.
>>
>> Helge
>>
> thanks Helge.
> OK , i installed cups-lpd and changed the xinet.d/cups-lpd on the Centos
> to match the Fedora. There still seems to be something missing. On the
> Fedora box
>   .   ps ax | grep cups
>   .    2064 ?        Ss     0:00 cupsd
>   .    2460 ?        Ss     0:00 cups-config-daemon
>   .    3373 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep cups
>
> but on the CentOS box , i just get
>   .   ps ax | grep cups
>   .    3155 ?        Ss     0:00 cupsd
>   .    3160 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep cups
>   .    3822 ?        Ss     0:00 eggcups --sm-client-id default4
>
> and I still can not get a lp session going from outside the CentOS box.
> There is no service for cups-lpd that I can see, do I need to restart the
> CentOS?

Is SELinux activated on your CentOS box? If yes, you may need to set up a
SELinux profile for cups-lpd or modify it if already existing. You can check
it by temporarily disabling SELinux.
Another hint: check if your firewall on the CentOS box blocks access to port
515 (the port cups-lpd is reading from).

Helge