sending authentication info to Windows Print server in OSX10.6

Brian gibson_brian at wheatoncollege.edu
Tue Sep 21 14:34:26 PDT 2010

Hi all,

On a Mac OSX10.6 box running CUPS 1.4.4 I am trying to connect to a shared print queue on a Windows 2008 print server. If I am on a certain subnet I can select "Windows" from the "Print & Fax" window and browse to the domain then print server and it will ask me for my Windows domain credentials and at that point I can enter them in as Domain\Username and save it to the Mac Key Chain.... all is good.

If I can't browse to the print server because of the subnet I am on I go to the advanced printing window (I have to add the "Advanced" button to the toolbar by right clicking on it and selecting "Customize Layout"). From there I add the queue as a "Windows" queue with a URL of smb://printserver/sharename but at no point does it ever ask me for my domain username and credentials. The jobs ends up on the print server but it gets submitted as the "Guest" account. Because of the specialized print-release software we use (Equitrac) we need the jobs to come over as Domain\Username. The authentication screen does come up in OSX 10.5 when you go to send your first print job.... but not in OSX 10.6.... any suggestions?

I tried setting up the URL as smb://username@domain.edu/printserver/sharename but the job still comes over as the "Guest" user.

I tried going into the http://localhost:631 CUPS interface and setting up the queue there but it still never prompts me for the username/password pair. One thing I did see in the CUPS interface was an option under the defaults area for turning on "Secure Printing" but when I do that it asks me for a username and password but I just get an "error printing".

Help!!!!

Thanks,
Brian