[cups.general] Filter Printer List from cups-get-dests

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Sep 22 02:35:28 PDT 2010

Hello,

On Sep 21 20:27 Brian Kroth wrote:
> Don Felix <dfelix at cadence.com> 2010-09-16 16:53:
>> For a situation where the print server has a few hundred print queues
>> configured, it is desirable to enable users to specify a printer
>> interest list.  (classic way is a ~/.printers file with a line like:
>> _all: printer1,printer2,printer3
>>
>> I actually wrap the lpstat command with a script so lpstat -a will
>> honor that line in ~/.printers.
>> Is there any way to do the same for clients such as firefox that call
>> the API to get the printer list?
>
> This doesn't work for user specific lists, but for hosts I've
> accomplished something similar with browsing clients and the apache
> style Allow/Deny From directives.

As far as I understand Don Felix' question ("enable users to specify")
he does not ask for a way how an admin could do it but for a way
how each user could specify his own printer interest list.

For example print queues for which a user is denied via
   lpadmin -p <queue_name> -u deny:<user_name>
are no longer shown when the particular user runs the "lpstat -p"
command or in the list of queues in the user's Firefox browser.

But only an admin could specify this and then the consequence is
that the user can no longer submit a print job to such a queue.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex