Raw Printer Driver - Linux RHEL

Anurag anurag.chourasia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 11:48:09 PDT 2010

Could someone please tell me where I can get the Raw Printer Driver for Linux?

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5
Kernel 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 on an x86_64

I have problems printing labels to a Zebra Printer. The Raw Printer prints only 1 or 2 labels out of 100s print requests. Nothing comes in the logs and job is set to successful and even then nothing comes out of the printer.

The label comes out once in a while. One or two labels per 40-50 Requests.

I noticed that upon issuing the lp -d command......
1. When a label is NOT printed, the netstat command shows one connection in TIME_WAIT to the printer PORT.
2. When a label is printed OK, the netstat command DOES NOT shows any extra connection in TIME_WAIT to the printer PORT.

Please note that If I use a printer which is not RAW but Zebra Type then the ZPL code(instead of the barcodes) prints out on the label but interestingly,  "ALL" print requests result in a label being printed).

It may be that the RAW printer drivers that come with RHEL do not support printing properly and upgrading the driver might help. I have checked with Red Hat and Zebra already and they are unable to provide me further assistance.

Please guide.

Regards,
Anurag