[cups.general] Raw Printer Driver - Linux RHEL

Bryan Mason bmason at redhat.com
Thu Sep 23 12:30:36 PDT 2010

On 09/22/2010 11:48 AM, Anurag wrote:
> Could someone please tell me where  I can get the Raw Printer Driver
> for Linux?

What exactly do you mean by a "Raw Printer Driver"?  Raw print queues
don't use filters (and thus doesn't need a PPD file) -- the data just
gets dumped to the printer. This is explained in the Samba CUPS
documentation[1].

> The label comes out once in a while. One or two labels per 40-50 Requests.
>
> I noticed that upon issuing the lp -d command......
>
> 1. When a label is NOT printed, the netstat command shows one
> connection in TIME_WAIT to the printer PORT.
> 2. When a label is printed OK, the netstat command DOES NOT shows
> any extra connection in TIME_WAIT to the printer PORT.

This makes me wonder if there isn't some sort of network issue in play,
as opposed to a PPD or filter issue.

~ Bryan

[1]http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#id2638506.