[cups.general] Lexmark c720 laser printing color correction using CUPS

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE jmpoure at gooze.eu
Sat Sep 25 00:55:42 PDT 2010

Dear friends,

As this is my first message on the list, thanks for working on CUPS. I
have been a CUPS user for about 10 years and the system really rocks.

My first and only B&W laser is a Kyocera FS-3800n with unbreakable
drums, a low-cost ownership and excellent printer. Cartridges can be
found for as less as 20€ for 20.000 copies.

Now, I have bought a C720 Lexmark laser color printer. I bought a series
of 5€ legacy cartridges on eBay. Really rocks.

I configured CUPS with the GNU/Linux drivers from OpenPrinting (PS).
When I look at the driver, I see there is no color correction features.
On the converse, the driver available on CUPS.org provides from Lexmark
and has some color correction features.

Indeed, I find the colors of the printer a little bit dull. I am not
going to use the printer for photos, rather for reports and product
brochures.

So my question is:
1) What is the recommended driver to enhance colors.
2) Is there a way to calibrate the printer, even using legacy tools.
3) I saw some new ICC profile features in the doc. Can I develop an ICC
profile for the printer and I can learn to do it ?

Sorry for this general question, but I would like to maximize the use of
this printer and understand color features.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel