[cups.general] CUPS for Solaris10

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Sep 29 04:56:50 PDT 2010

Kataria, Sunil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very new to CUPS printing.
>
> I am currently using lp service which came with Solaris 10 OS. Due to
> certain slowness issue I have been asked by Fuji Xerox to use CUPS
> printing. All I would like to know -
>

> 1.       How can I download the CUPS package for Solaris 10?
>
> 2.       How can add a CUPS printer for postscript printing from command
> line?
>
> Thanks,
> SK

I recommend the following to do on Solaris 10:

(1) Install a fairly recent gcc (gcc-3.4.6 from www.sunfreeware.com will
work well).
(2) Download the CUPS source tree from www.cups.org
(3) In the source directory, run configure with the option "--without-
gssapi", as the default implementation of this is broken on Solaris 10 and
will cause the make to fail.
(4) run make.

If all this is OK,
(4) disable the native printing system using the commands
svcadm disable ipplistener
svcadm disable *print*
(where *print* is to be replaced by all the printing services which can be
listed by the command
svcs all | grep print)

(5) in the CUPS source directory, run make install as root.

Note that you nave the choyce of installing cups under /usr or /usr/local
(see the --prefix option of configure). If you chose /usr/local, the
commands like lp, lpadmin etc. will be installed in /usr/local/bin and
/usr/local/sbin, respectively, so take care of your PATH environment
variable (you then may change it to search /usr/local/... prioir to /usr).

Then, to manage printers, I'd suggest to use the web interface.

As for the svc... commands, consult the man pages (it is some time ago since
I had my fingers in a sparc Solaris 10 box, but I still have a vitualized
open solaris, so, if necessary, you may ask me directly).

Helge