[cups.general] Fixing the page-label option

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Sep 29 08:37:37 PDT 2010

On Sep 29, 2010, at 4:07 AM, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> The more often I read the Adobe DSC specification regarding
> "%%Orientation" (page 43)
> A portrait orentation indicates that the longest edge of the
> paper is parallel to the vertical (y) axis. A landscape
> orentation indicates that the longest edge of the paper
> is parallel to the horizontal (x) axis.
> the more I get confused about what this should actually mean.

Yeah, one of the guys I work with at Apple used to be at Adobe and even he says the comment is confusing.

> Assume the content of a page has
> %%BoundingBox 10 15 580 780
> it means the content is from left 10 to right 580 on the x axis
> and from bottom 15 to top 780 on the y axis.
>
> To place this content "inside" of a A4 (width 595, height 842)
> or Letter (width 612, height 792) paper, the longest edge
> of the paper must be parallel to the vertical (y) axis so that
> %%Orientation Portrait
> seems to be mandatory in this case according to what the Adobe DSC
> specification reads.

Except that BoundingBox and PageBoundingBox refer the the rectangle containing the content, not the orientation a human would use to view the content.  The Orientation comment tells the viewing application whether the content needs to be rotated for *viewing*, not for printing...

To make matters worse, there are applications that generate bad bounding boxes, such that the bounding box is in landscape while the content is actually rotated to portrait.  There isn't a whole lot we can do about that... :(