[cups.general] convert an printjob in a raw_printerqueue

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Sep 30 07:58:28 PDT 2010

Hello,

On Sep 30 05:02 Christian wrote (shortened):
> i want to convert an print job in a raw queue with an filter.

This is not possible because for a raw queue no filter is called
because a raw queue is "raw" which means no filtering at all.

You may have first of all a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
to get a better overview and then you may have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

> we have 500 printers and the administration for 500 printers
> with ppd files are very hard.

I don't think so.

You may have a look at the "Command-line Tools" section in
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
in particular regarding "write the respective commands in
a script (usually a sequence of lpadmin commands)".

Of course administration for 500 printers is harder than
administration for 5 printers but I don't think that the
reason is the PPD files.

Actually I think it is the opposite:
The PPD files enable you to adapt them so that you get
template PPDs for your particular printer models in your
particular environment and for your particular use-cases
so that you can set up print queues using your particular
template PPDs which fit perfectly into your environment.

Of course if you have 500 totally different printer models
it is harder than when you have e.g. 50 different printer
models. In the latter case you would need to maintain only
50 template PPDs.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex