"Error: /undefined in --.endpage--" with foomatic-rip

Alex Taylor mail.me at reply.to.address
Mon Sep 13 19:55:06 PDT 2010

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 17:28:16 UTC, Helge Blischke <h.blischke at acm.org> wrote:

> > At the end of the day, I don't know whether it's the PostScript data
> > that is invalid somehow, or if there's a bug in our port of foomatic
> > (or of GhostScript), or if it's some odd combination of the two.
>
> Well, the PS file generated by your OS/2 generator is by no means DSC
> compliant which is essential for foomatic-rip to function properly.
>
> For test, I have modified the bue_good.ps to be formally DSC compliant
> (though the statements semantically belonging to the prolog and setup
> section, respectively, are intermixed) and attached it to my reply. It
> should then go through foomatic-rip without producing errors.

Unfortunately, this fixed version (blue_test.ps) doesn't work either.
In fact, it seems to fail much earlier on, as the printer simply spits
out a blank page.

The error in the log looks similar, however.

Closing renderer
Error: /undefined in --.endpage--
Operand stack:
   0   true   1   (PAGE: )
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1846   1   3   %oparray_pop
1845   1   3   %oparray_pop   1829   1   3   %oparray_pop   1723   1   3
%oparray_pop   --nostringval--   %errorexec_pop   .runexec2   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   1729
 0   3   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   1809   1   3   %oparray_pop
--nostringval--   4   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1154/1684(ro)(G)--   --dict:1/20(G)--   --dict:80/200(L)--

Complete logfile and generated foomatic-rip.ps are here:
http://users.socis.ca/~ataylo00/foomatic_output_new.zip

> The reason why the unhacked (good) PS file prints correctly simply is
> that the CUPS pstops filter does not recognize it as DSC compliant and
> therefore treats the whole file as a single page. But then all features
> like number-up printing, reversed output etc. are disabled in fact.

I suspected something of the sort, thanks for confirming it.

> If you compare the attached test file against ypur "good.ps", ypou'll
> easily see how to settle your issue, even for jobs with more than one
> page.

Indeed, thank you.  However, applying the same changes to other .PS
files yields much the same result as with blue_test.ps (namely, a
blank page).

--
Alex Taylor
Fukushima, Japan