[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3677: smbclient sending no frames outside local VLAN

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Tue Sep 14 07:21:18 PDT 2010

[STR New]

I'm trying to print on my company's printer accessible via samba.
Whenever I try to access the print server via smbclient I get:

pc-salsa-info-092:py yannis$ smbclient -L
vss-cups-03.priv.enst-bretagne.fr -U yharalam
Error connecting to 10.29.90.8 (Host is down)
Connection to vss-cups-03.priv.enst-bretagne.fr failed (Error
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)

Actually the print server is alive and perfectly accessible via ping.

The print server IP is outside my VLAN (my IP is 10.66.145.92 and the mask
255.255.0.0). When I do an smbclient to a machine in my VLAN I get a quite
different result:

pc-salsa-info-092:py yannis$ smbclient -L 10.66.145.90 -U yharalam
timeout connecting to 10.66.145.90:445
timeout connecting to 10.66.145.90:139
Error connecting to 10.66.145.90 (Operation already in progress)
Connection to 10.66.145.90 failed (Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)

Which means that the 10.66.145.90 is seen while the 10.29.90.8 print
server is not.

Surprisingly, when I do a tcpdump, I see outgoing frames in the first case
(inside VLAN), but not in the second (outside VLAN). In other words: when
attempting a smb connection outside my VLAN, MacOS X will not even send a
single frame.

My firewall is deactivated. What can be the cause of this refusal to do a
smb connection? Is this a configuration problem?
Strange as it may seem, I managed to print the first day, the problem only
appeared the second day and I still cannot print at all.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3677
Version: 1.4.4