Zebra Printer - Raw Queue Issues

Anurag anurag.chourasia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 15:24:08 PDT 2010

Dear CUPS Staff,

When I print to a Zebra Printer with the following configuration, the label does not get printed. Only 1 or 2 out of every 50 label print request result in a label coming out of the printer.

lpoptions -p loespejo_14
========================
finishings=3 copies=1 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 number-up=1 auth-info-required=none job-sheets=none,none printer-info='Lo Espejo 14 - Socket Protocol' printer-is-accepting-jobs=1 printer-is-shared=1 printer-location='Lo Espejo 14' printer-make-and-model='Local Raw Printer' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1284416198 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=4

The same label when printed using another printer (everything same but different printer-make-and-model) prints fine always but the label contains ZPL Code instead of the Barcode/Visual Elements etc. Zebra asked me to change the model to Raw Queue and that's where I hit the problem described above.

lpoptions -pp_z_s
==================
media=w288h360 finishings=3 copies=1 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 number-up=1 auth-info-required=none job-sheets=none,none printer-info=p_z_s printer-is-accepting-jobs=1 printer-is-shared=1 printer-location printer-make-and-model='Zebra ZPL Label Printer, 1.3' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1284579429 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=36932

lpstat -v
=========
device for loespejo_14: socket://10.15.98.14:9100
device for p_z_s: socket://10.15.98.14:9100

The communication parameters etc are same for both the printers. The only difference is in printer-make-and-model. One is "Zebra ZPL Label Printer, 1.3" and another is "Local Raw Printer".

If i submit a label print command (lp -d) to the "Local Raw Printer" then....

1. When a label is NOT printed, the netstat command shows one connection in TIME_WAIT to the printer PORT.

2. When a label is printed OK, the netstat command DOES NOT shows any extra connection in TIME_WAIT to the printer PORT.

There seems to be something wrong with the "Local Raw Printer" driver or I am not sure what. If it could print every label requested then the issue is solved for me. Could you please help me through to a solution?

Please let me know if I could help with more details.

Regards,
Anurag