[cups.general] cups-pdf server for windows

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Apr 1 06:05:16 PDT 2011

Hello,

On Mar 31 20:44 remus wrote (excerpt):
> I am wondering if I can use cups-pdf setup on a computer
> running linux to be a pdf server for windows xp computers.

Have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_from_Windows_to_Linux
and
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_to_PDF

cups-pdf needs PostScript as input to make a PDF.

If Windows clients send arbitrary printer-specific data,
cups-pdf cannot make a PDF from it.

To let Windows clients send PostScript, a pre-filtering process
into PostScript must happen on Windows client systems.
This can be done with PostScript drivers for Windows.

Even if Windows clients send PostScript from which cups-pdf can
make a PDF, I neither know what the location for the PDF files
would be when the PostScript came via network from a Windows client
(perhaps there is no meaningful user name in this case)
nor do I know how a user on a Windows client could access the PDFs
which are stored on the Linux machine where cups-pdf runs.

Probably you need additionally Samba to make the PDFs accessible
for the users on the Windows clients.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex