Update CUPS on iomega StorCenter ix2-200 (CUPS 1.3svn?)

Mike mike at sidtheduck.com
Mon Apr 4 13:25:42 PDT 2011

Hello,

I am having issues with an HP Deskjet 720c printer connected via USB to my Iomega StorCenter ix2-200 NAS.  Iomega support was unhelpful and basically told me that they cannot verify support for my printer.

So, that being said and with my warranty almost up for the NAS, I'm looking to attempt upgrading the CUPS on my NAS using a tutorial I found regarding my HP printer (http://brendan.sdf-eu.org/articles/install_winprinter.php) to include pnm2ppa and the correct PPA driver from openprinting.org.  I am fairly new to Linux (have mucked about a bit in Ubuntu) and very new to CUPS, but pick up things generally quickly, so I'm wondering if it is even possible for someone like me to update CUPS on a firmware install.

I have SSH access to the NAS and have poked around a bit.  It looks to be running a Debian version of linux (dpkg is installed) and it is running CUPS version 1.3svn (not sure how to narrow down the actual SVN revision of CUPS).  It does not appear to have Ghostscript or pnm2ppa installed.  Any guidance would be much appreciated.  Thanks.