[cups.general] Raw Printing Doesn't work...

Chris cjdl01 at brokensolstice.com
Wed Apr 20 08:45:37 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm running CUPS on a debian Squeeze system.  I am trying to set up
two, known-good, printers with raw print queues.  Every time I send a
print job to them, however, it vanishes into thin air.  Cups reports
that the job was printed successfully, and there is no error output
anywhere that I can find.

However, when I use a ppd on the queue, it works as expected.  I
remove the ppd and set it back to a raw queue, and once again it
doesn't work.

I have done this in the past with no issues.  I have even done it with
one of these very same printers.  I have looked at the docs, and find
them to be inconsistent with what I see on my system.  There are no
mime.convs and mime.types files in my /etc/cups directory.  There are,
however, two files named raw.convs and mime.types.  They appear to set
up to be the same.  I have been hunting on this for days now, and I
cannot find any word regarding this issue, or the mysterious raw.convs
and raw.types files.

I would be very appreciative if someone could illuminate me here,
because I'm at a loss.

My raw.types file:
application/octet-stream

My raw.convs:
application/octet-stream application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -