[cups.general] tiled printing

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Apr 21 04:01:30 PDT 2011

Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Apr 20 12:25 Helge Blischke wrote:
>> Michael Sweet wrote:
>>
>>> Not at present. Feel free to file a feature request, though:
>>>
>>>     http://www.cups.org/str.php

>> .. but you can use the utility poster to do that. Download it via
>> ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/printing/poster.tar.bz2
>> compile and install it and use it as a preprocessor to printing.
>> (of course you may take pains to integrate it as a filter into your cups
>> configuration).
>
> poster is available as RPM package for openSUSE.
> # zypper --verbose --no-abbrev install poster
> should work to install it.
>
> I don't know if poster works for PDFs.
> I think poster requires PostScript that follows the
> Adobe Document Structuring Conventions.
>
> Regarding the "pains to integrate it as a filter", have a look at
> "Adding Additional Filter Stages to the Default CUPS Filter System" in
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
Hm, "pains" means one needs to think about how to wrap the original
standalone program to work as a filter (shellscript, Perl, or Python, or
whatsowver) and how to design job attributes to customize the handling of
the input and translate these to the poster's original options.

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner

Helge

PS: are there no longer updates available for openSUSE 11.1?