[cups.general] tiled printing

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Apr 22 03:05:41 PDT 2011

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

>>>  .. but you can use the utility poster to do that.
>> poster is available as RPM package for openSUSE.
>
> I actually installed poster from yast2 BEFORE mailing the CUPS mailing
> list, but was unable to make it work (I converted pdf to ps with pdf2ps
> and tried poster, but the resulting postscript file gives errors in
> ghostscript).

Well, I think I got it:

poster skips all lines beginning with a percent sign (treating them as
comments), but it is legal for ascii85 strings to be split into several
lines, and these lines legally may start with a percent sign.

To settle this issue, poster would have to syntactically parse the
PostScript input in order to identify those ascii85 strings which, I think,
is a major task. Probably it is more convenient to re-implement poster (at
least to a certain extent) in PostScript itself. I'll think about it.

Helge