when printing a file, font is being substituted

Chris c at ourdev.com
Fri Apr 22 21:31:10 PDT 2011

I feel like I probably should have been able to find an answer for this, but couldn't.

I have a pdf that uses the Tahoma font. The font is not embedded. When it's sent to cups for printing (on a printer, not cups-pdf), the font gets substituted with something else and the formatting gets messed up a little. I am not creating and don't have control over the creation of these documents so I can't embed the fonts.

I assume I need to install the tahoma font on the cups box. So I copied the tahoma.ttf file to /usr/share/cups/fonts/
Didn't work. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 so I opened the font file and clicked 'install font'. Didn't work. Tried a number of other methods for installing fonts. Didn't work.

So, what's a guy gotta do to get a pdf to print with the proper fonts?

Chris