when printing a file, font is being substituted

Chris c at ourdev.com
Tue Apr 26 13:03:45 PDT 2011

> Chris wrote:
>
> > I feel like I probably should have been able to find an answer for this,
> > but couldn't.
> >
> > I have a pdf that uses the Tahoma font. The font is not embedded. When
> > it's sent to cups for printing (on a printer, not cups-pdf), the font gets
> > substituted with something else and the formatting gets messed up a
> > little. I am not creating and don't have control over the creation of
> > these documents so I can't embed the fonts.
> >
> > I assume I need to install the tahoma font on the cups box. So I copied
> > the tahoma.ttf file to /usr/share/cups/fonts/ Didn't work. I'm using
> > Ubuntu 10.04 so I opened the font file and clicked 'install font'. Didn't
> > work. Tried a number of other methods for installing fonts. Didn't work.
> >
> > So, what's a guy gotta do to get a pdf to print with the proper fonts?
> >
> > Chris
>
> Please post more details about the printer and how it is configured in CUPS.
>
> Helge

Printer is a Ricoh 1356EX. I am running cups 1.4.3
This is what the printer.conf looks like for that printer.

Info PrintStation3
MakeModel Ricoh Pro 1356EX PXL
DeviceURI socket://192.168.1.228
State Idle
StateTime 1303837048
Reason toner-low-report
Type 8400948
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip
Filter application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip
Accepting Yes
etc....

I have no idea where I got the ppd from (it's been some time ago).

I'm guessing it has something to do with the filter? Do I need to run a pdftops filter? or should I be using a different ppd?

Thanks for your help.
Chris