Raw Printing Doesn't work...

Paul paul.conklin at cerner.com
Tue Apr 26 20:56:54 PDT 2011

> >> From your error_log snippet I see that the printer accepted the whole bun=
> ch
> > of data. And, as the printer is supposed to print plain ascii text, I
> > suspect that it needs some control code at the end of the text, maibe a fo=
> rm
> > feed character or even an eof character (whatever that may be).
> >
> > Note that, with your raw printing setup, there is no instance to tell the
> > printer the raw data are complete and ready to print.
> >
> > Helge
> >

> Helge,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I believe you.  However, this isn't my setup... it is standard =20
> CUPS/Debian, using the web interface and choosing the raw print =20
> driver.  That's it.  I didn't tinker under the hood whatsoever.  It is =20
> 100% stock, untampered with.  I've tried now on two independent =20
> systems with 3 known-working printers.  The results are always the same.
>
> So, it must be either a CUPS or Debian issue... the question is, is it =20
> a bug?  Or is is default misconfiguration?  There is no documentation =20
> on the matter, so I don't even know where to start.
>
> If it isn't getting an EOF, then how do we give it one?  What could =20
> account for this issue?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> -Chris

Chris,
it actually probably will not print period with the test page as the 1.3 testpage is Postscript.  the 1.4 one is text, but even it could get flushed as it looks like this particular type of printer only understands some of the Epson Charecters.  I can share with you how I got around this in our implimentation, but I don't know if it will work for you.  We are 100% raw drivers as our application creates fully encapsulated print jobs.  The bulk of our printers are Postscript, Zebra, or Intermec.  I created a "one print job to rule them all" that has Postscript, ZPL, and IPL in it.  When a users sends the test page, the printer will flush the two languages it does not understand and print the one that it does.  If all of your printers (or perhaps just that one is your only one) you could pause the queue, send a job through the PPD file, copy off the d* file and replace testprint with it.  That would allow the "Print Test Page" to work, but it wouldn't work for printers of other types probably.  Why do you have to use RAW? perhaps there is a better solution to your problem as i doubt it's just being able to print test pages to a raw printer.