Unable to advertise printers

Alan lameventanas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 01:03:21 PDT 2011

I am trying to set a cups server to advertise its printer to other clients.

The server has 3 interfaces: lo, eth0 and br0
br0 is a linux bridge interface composed of eth1 eth2 and eth3

I have set these options:
Port 631
BrowseAddress @IF(br0)

And when starting cupsd, I get this message:
Unable to open listen socket for address :::631 - Address family not supported by protocol.
Yet, cupsd starts.

netstat shows this:

bash# netstat --tcp --udp -l | grep 631
tcp        0      0 *:631                   *:*                     LISTEN
udp        0      0 *:631                   *:*

If I run tcpdump with the filter "port 631" and interface br0, I get nothing.
In the client I can't see an packets either.
Running tcpdump on the loopback interface I can see some packets.

In syslog I can see these messages:
cupsdSendBrowseList: (189 bytes to "br0") 2900e 3 ipp://<fqdn>:631/printers/HP_Officejet_5610 "location" "HP Officejet 5610" "HP Officejet 5600 Series, hpcups 3.10.9" job-sheets=none,none lease-duration=60

cups version in the server is 1.4.3.
cups version in the client is 1.3.11 (this is still irrelevant as its not getting browse packets).

Help?