[cups.development] Filters and rotation

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Fri Apr 1 02:53:39 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 10:20 -0700, Michael Sweet wrote:
> pstoraster normally should get things in the right orientation. If we
> see a landscape PageSize when the PPD defines a portrait orientation
> for that size, we should be rotating the bitmap so that it is portrait
> again (and I'm pretty sure that code is "in there").

Yes, pstoraster gets it right.

> What normally is the problem is that pdftops emits a landscape
> setpagedevice command in the PostScript output, and then pstops
> applies the corresponding portrait paper size command, leading to the
> wrong orientation in the output.

What's going wrong (I think) in the tests I'm seeing is that the
PostScript output is "portrait" output for landscape-sized media:

%%Page: 1 1
%%PageBoundingBox: 0 0 842 595
%%BeginPageSetup
%%PageOrientation: Portrait

(there is no setpagedevice command).  So when foomatic-rip generates
raster output is does it line-by-line starting from a long edge, rather
than from a short edge.

> The alternative is to make pdftops handle all of the CUPS options
> (number-up, orientation-requested, fit-to-page, page-label, etc.)
> along with the printer-specific commands such that it is producing
> application/vnd.cups-postscript and not application/postscript (which
> goes through pstops...)

Yes, when I get some time I need to work on that.

Thanks for your answer, that's clarified things a lot.

Tim.
*/