[cups.development] writing PPD for Lexmark E360DN

green greenfreedom10 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 14:08:56 PDT 2011

If there is a better place for this message, please tell me.

I am trying to make a new Lexmark E360dn laser printer work correctly with
CUPS.  The openprinting.org site listed the printer as working well, but the
provided PPD does not actually work so great.  So I am trying to write a new
drv file for the printer.  I was hoping that with the files provided by
Lexmark, any information I needed would be available, but … not really: the
technical-reference PDF from Lexmark basically just lists support for various
papersizes, papertypes, and commands, without any actual syntax.

Two examples:
I need to know what /MediaPosition integers to use; Lexmark's PPD uses:
 "1 dict dup /MediaPosition null put setpagedevice
 currentpagedevice /InputAttributes get 0 get setpagedevice
 1 dict dup /InputAttributes 1 dict dup /Priority [0] put put setpagedevice
 1 dict dup /Policies 1 dict dup /PageSize 2 put put setpagedevice
 << /ManualFeed false >> setpagedevice"
for Tray1.

Similarly, I need to know what /MediaType intergers to use; Lexmark's PPD uses:
 "<< /MediaType (Plain) /Policies << /MediaType 2 >> >> setpagedevice"
for plain paper and the same MediaType integer for all the paper types.

I just want simple commands; what is all the garbage for?  I would like to be
able to use the standard drv keywords for ppdc.  Will that be possible, or do I
need to try to follow Lexmark's PPD closely?  I am not sure where to go from
here; thanks for any help.