pdftops pdf security

Ryan Donnelly rdonnell at umich.edu
Tue Apr 26 13:35:35 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm currently looking into an issue with our pdftops implementation on CUPS 1.4.6.  We're using xpdf 3.02pl5 as our backend.  The issue we're seeing appears to stem from a security issue with certain PDFs.  When we use pdftops by itself, we get:

/usr/bin/pdftops ref.pdf
Error: No display font for 'Courier'
Error: No display font for 'Courier-Bold'
Error: No display font for 'Courier-BoldOblique'
Error: No display font for 'Courier-Oblique'
Error: No display font for 'Helvetica'
Error: No display font for 'Helvetica-Bold'
Error: No display font for 'Helvetica-BoldOblique'
Error: No display font for 'Helvetica-Oblique'
Error: No display font for 'Symbol'
Error: No display font for 'Times-Bold'
Error: No display font for 'Times-BoldItalic'
Error: No display font for 'Times-Italic'
Error: No display font for 'Times-Roman'
Error: No display font for 'ZapfDingbats'

It's my understanding that the font issues are acceptable.  A valid PS file is created and it prints just fine.  When I use the CUPS filter, I get:

/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops 1 2 3 4 5 ref.pdf > ref.ps
DEBUG: pdftops - level = 2, width = 595, length = 792
DEBUG: Setting paper dimensions to 595x792!
Error: PDF version 1.7 -- xpdf supports version 1.5 (continuing anyway)
Error: Unsupported version/revision (4/4) of Standard security handler
Error: Incorrect password
Error: Unable to print this document.

Is this consistent with what I should be seeing?  Or could this be related to our issue?  Any help or insight would be appreciated.  I can supply more info if needed.

Thanks,
Ryan Donnelly
University of Michigan