[cups.general] hostname instead of ip address

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Aug 1 20:48:02 PDT 2011

On Aug 1, 2011, at 4:19 PM, Olin Shivers wrote:
>> Use the lpadmin command to setup a hard-wired queue that points to the dyndns name, e.g.:
>>
>> 	lpadmin -p myprinter -E -m raw -v ipp://myhost.dyndns.com/printers/myprinter
>>
>> Since the cupsd on your home system doesn't know how to reverse-map your external IP address to the external hostname (one of the issues with dyndns services in general), you'll just get the local IP reported... So instead of using BrowsePoll you need to configure the remote queue manually (as above).
>
> Right -- I was *specificaly* hoping to be able to use the BrowsePoll mechanism. I'm surprised there's no way to get it to report printer URIs with hostnames instead of IP addresses. Is there really no way to configure the server to do so?

No, cupsd specifically generates printer URIs based on the address used to connect to the server. If that address has no FQDN associated with it then you'll just get a raw IP address.

In the case of your remote access, cupsd doesn't know the real IP address used, just the local one the packet was forwarded to by your router.