cups really sucks

Paul Conklin paul.conklin at cerner.com
Mon Aug 8 12:37:10 PDT 2011

I think part of the problem that you are facing is what we face a lot with our clients, however CUPS is not at fault.  The printer is accepting the print job from CUPS, therefore from it's perspective everything is good, no errors.  The problem with "cheap" printers is they don't support PostScript usually, so you have to go through a series of "filters" to get the print language in something that the printer understands.  Picture it like this, you get a letter from Greece and it was sent with Delivery Confirmation.  You get the letter, and UPS confirms you signed for it, but since you don't understand it, you throw it away.  It's not UPS's fault that you don't speak greek, they are just the transport mechanisim.