[cups.general] Job displays user as "Withheld"

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Aug 12 08:35:55 PDT 2011

On Aug 12, 2011, at 8:30 AM, Logan Anteau wrote:
> I'm trying to set up pykota with CUPS for print accounting. The pykota backend is failing because I believe it is not getting the job-originating-user-name from CUPS.
>
> When I look at the job details from the CUPS web interface I notice for user it says "Withheld" instead of my username (I expected user at REALM). So if it's withheld on the site I'm thinking its not telling pykota the user either. Why is this?

Assuming that Pykota is using the username from the command-line, they will still be getting it.

As for the "withheld" in the web interface, that is new security mojo in CUPS 1.5.0 that is controlled by the JobPrivateAccess and JobPrivateValues directives in each operation policy. Basically we now, by default, hide all "personal" information in jobs unless you are an admin or the owner of the job. You can disable this pretty easily to get the pre-1.5.0 behavior by replacing the existing lines in cupsd.conf with:

	JobPrivateAccess all
	JobPrivateValues none

and then restarting cupsd (editing via the web interface will do this for you...)