Unable to build Cups 1.5.0 rpm

Mike McArthur michelmcarthur at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 10:13:00 PDT 2011

Hello;

I am having an issue with one of my printers.  There is a 5 second delay with printing.  After investigating and running a tcpdump we found out that cups was creating the delay (It would send one job, wait 5 seconds, send a 2nd job, wait 5 seconds).  We are running cups 1.3.9

Investigating I found that this was related to the outdated cups version i was running:

https://km.zebra.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SO8110&actp=LIST&showDraft=false
STR #3494: socket: remove 5 second wait for back-channel data
The issue was addressed at CUPS 1.4.4.

So in order to solve this issue I will need to upgrade cups.  As we are running Suse 11.1 I downloaded the cups 1.5.0-source.gz to our build box and attempted to build an rpm:

When I build the rpm I get this error:

rpmbuild -ta cups-1.5.0-source.tar.gz without-php
RPM build errors:
    File not found: /tmp/cups-root/etc/pam.d
    File not found by glob: /tmp/cups-root/etc/pam.d/*
    File not found: /tmp/cups-root/usr/lib/cups/backend/https
    File not found: /tmp/cups-root/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipps
    File not found by glob: /tmp/cups-root/usr/lib*/php*

I can work around this issue by modifying the .spec inside the tarball, but am wondering if there is another way.