Problem with PCL code for end of job on SuSe11 - CUPs

Stephanie Seney sseney at marcs.com
Fri Aug 12 10:13:51 PDT 2011

Hi folks,

We have just migrated from an old SUN Solaris Unix system to SuSe 11 which uses CUPS.  Our custom applications all embed PCL5 coding into the output files which we've always sent to the printer using lp.  On Solaris all printed fine, on Suse - which runs CUPS - all the PCL commands except for the end of job command (job separation) Esc&l1T (escape, ampersand, el (little l), one, T) are interpreted by our printers just fine.

We have the printers defined as raw devices - for example our konicctr2 printer is as follows:
lpoptions -p konicactr2
finishings=3 copies=1 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 number-up=1 auth-in
fo-required=none job-sheets=none,none printer-info=konicactr2 printer-is-accepti
ng-jobs=1 printer-is-shared=1 printer-location printer-make-and-model='Local Raw
 Printer' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1313167200 printer-state-rea
sons=none printer-type=4

We send our output (which is an ascii text file that embeds the PCL coding w/in it) to the printer as follows:
lp -d konicactr2 -n 6 file.txt

The printer has collate turned on by default...but no longer staggers the 6 copies when printing from Suse 11 - like it did under Solaris.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?  Konica is telling us that PCL is not supported under CUPS, but since we have several other HP printers and all of thoses seem to interpret PCL code just fine when printing thru raw devises...it appears we're just missing something basic.