[cups.general] Problem with PCL code for end of job on SuSe11 - CUPs

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Aug 12 10:25:59 PDT 2011

On Aug 12, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Stephanie Seney wrote:
> We send our output (which is an ascii text file that embeds the PCL coding w/in it) to the printer as follows:
> lp -d konicactr2 -n 6 file.txt
>
> The printer has collate turned on by default...but no longer staggers the 6 copies when printing from Suse 11 - like it did under Solaris.

If you mean the printer's "jog" feature (to offset each copy set), the issue is that CUPS will send the file 6 times (in the example above) instead of telling the printer to make 6 copies, so each job is treated as part of its own "set".

You could use a simple shell script (interface script) for this, something like:

	"pcldriver.sh":

	#!/bin/sh
	printf "\033E\033&l%dX" $4
	cat $6

The printf send a PCL reset followed by a number-of-copies command. The cat sends the print file.

Create the above file and run lpadmin to install it:

	lpadmin -p printer -i pcldriver.sh

You can revert to the raw mode with:

	lpadmin -p printer -m raw