Printing from Lion to Cups 1.5.0

hans peter verne hanspv+cups at usit.uio.no
Mon Aug 15 04:19:41 PDT 2011

> On Aug 12, 2011, at 7:13 AM, hans peter verne wrote:
> > I installed cups 1.5.0 from src on a server (RedHat 5.7), and set up queues.
> > We want basic authentication (username/password, no kerberos).  I set
> > LogLevel debug in cupsd.conf .
> > I assume the first "No authentication data provided" is legit, as this
> > is before I type my username/password, but the second time (16s later)
> > this should work...   Any suggestions as to why it doesn't?
>

> This may be an issue we are already tracking, but please file a bug with Apple (more bugs == more visibility...):
>
> 	http://bugreport.apple.com

OK, done.  I post the report here as well, if others will comment:

Title: CUPS: Snow Leopard / Lion can't print to cups server 1.5 with ipp.

Latest releases of Mac OS X "Snow Leopard" and "Lion" can't print with
ipp to cups 1.5.

Steps to Reproduce:

1) Download, compile and install Cups 1.5 on a server (I used RedHat EL 5.7).
2) Edit /etc/cups.d/cups.conf so that "LogLevel debug" and "Listen 0.0.0.0:631"
3) Restart cupsd.
4) Create a queue on the server, share it.
5) Set up print queue on Mac, to the server:
    a) System prefs..., print and scan
    b) Add new printer ("+")
    c) Choose IP,
         Protocol: IPP
         Address:  server.domain or IP
         Queue:    /printers/name_of_queue
         Name, location: (whatever)
         Print using: (an appropriate driver)

Expected Results:

Queue builds without problems.
When printing, I get a pop-up box prompting for username/password
After typing usern/pw, printing works (ie. job transfered to server)

Actual Results:

Queue is built, but Mac complains
"Unable to verify the printer on your network" -- This is a minor issue.

When printing, I'm not prompted for username/password.  Print job
goes to "on hold (Authentication req'rd)".  When I click "Resume",
nothing happens.

If I run this command in a terminal window:
sudo lpadmin -p <printername> -o auth-info-required=username,password ,
I will be prompted for username/password,  but still no printing -- jobs
goes back to "on hold".

Cups server log (/var/log/cups/error_log) says
[not included, see previous post]

Regression:

This method for printing worked fine with Snow Leopard 10.6.7
and cups server 1.3.7.  After upgrading SL to 10.6.8, printing to
cups-1.3.7 still works, but with strange delays ("network host buzy,
will try again in 10 seconds", etc....).

Printing from Lion to cups-1.3.7 works, but without authentication!
Server accepts print jobs as from root.