Unable to build Cups 1.5.0 rpm

Mike McArthur michelmcarthur at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 10:21:58 PDT 2011

I took a look at the cups.spec file in /extractedsource/packaging/cups.spec

#######:~/cups-1.5.0/packaging # grep Require cups.spec -i
Requires: %{name}-libs = %{epoch}:%{version}
Requires: %{name}-libs = %{epoch}:%{version}
Requires: %{name} = %{epoch}:%{version} xinetd
Requires: %{name}-libs = %{epoch}:%{version}

Looks like the RPM doesn't require pam-devel.  I think the issue is that the file didn't come with the source tarball:

%files
# PAM
%dir /etc/pam.d
/etc/pam.d/*

I also noticed when I build the the tarball (as opposed to the bzip file) I get additional errors:

rpmbuild -ta cups-1.5.0-source.tar.gz --without php

RPM build errors:
    File not found: /tmp/cups-root/etc/pam.d
    File not found by glob: /tmp/cups-root/etc/pam.d/*
    File not found: /tmp/cups-root/usr/lib/cups/backend/https
    File not found: /tmp/cups-root/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipps

Investigating I see that those files do not exist when I extract the tarball:

######:~/extractedsource # find -type f | grep https
######:~/extractedsource # find -type f | grep ipps
./test/ippserver.o
./test/ippserver
./test/ippserver.c

To resolve this I will extract the tarball, place the approriate files where they are required and recreate the tarball.  I am unfamiliar with rpm creation where the spec is in the tarball itself.  Am i correct that I would place the /etc/pam.d files in

/extractedsource/etc/pam.d/

and then recreate the source tarball with this command

tar -czvf cups-1.5.0-source.tar.gz /extractedsource/

Thank you for your time and patience
Mike M