[cups.general] Unable to build Cups 1.5.0 rpm

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Aug 16 11:09:55 PDT 2011

On Aug 16, 2011, at 10:21 AM, Mike McArthur wrote:
> I took a look at the cups.spec file in /extractedsource/packaging/cups.spec

You want the BuildRequires lines, but in any case the generic spec file included with the CUPS release does not reference any build requirements because there is little standardization between distros. What might work for a Red Hat distribution, say "pam-devel", might not work for another that has a different name for the same package, like "libpam-dev".

We have "worked around" this by making the more problematic ones configurable (thus the "--without-php" and "--without-dbus" options), but PHP is a hard requirement on Linux to support any kind of authentication against user accounts.

So what you need to do is install pam-devel, or libpam-dev, or whatever the hell your distribution calls the PAM developer stuff.