waitjob, waitprinter

Steve Bergman sbergman27 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 12:57:30 PDT 2011

> No, CUPS does not currently support this functionality if you are doing local queuing.

Pardon me if I'm being a bit dense. My original question probably should have specified all the things I'm uncertain about.

I've done some testing, and if I queue a job locally that gets sent to a remote CUPS server (assume that I'm not specifying any waitjob or waitprinter options and am taking the default), and then cancel on the local machine, the remote job gets cancelled on the remote server, which is great. And that's really the important thing to us. This even seems to work if the job has gone through a chain of 3 IPP cups servers. Though I should say that my testing involved disabling the printer on the final server. My options for testing this are limited. (There's day-time, when I can't do a thing, since they're live. And night-time, when there's no one at the remote site to give feedback. So I can't send large jobs to test with.)

I'm not certain whether the HP LaserJet P3005n printers' internal IPP servers will act the same, and acknowledge an IPP cancel request from a CUPS server.

I'm wanting to give the user the most extensive control possible for cancelling the job if they accidentally send a 1,000 page document to an invoice printer. If that requires a slight pause between back to back print jobs, we can certainly live with it. (It's just that people do grumble about the slight pause when they are doing multiple 1 page documents to the dot matrix printers.)

Is there some explanation of all this, somewhere, that goes beyond what is in the "Using Network Printers" portion of t.he CUPS documentation?

BTW, I wiped everything, recompiled with the zlib-devel stuff installed, as you suggested. Set up the local printers without  PPD's, moving the processing to the remote server. And compression=gzip is working very well. I've even seen a 20% to 30% reduction in bandwidth for a lot of the PDF's my users are sending, which surprised me, since they are already compressed. Though some show little to know reduction, as I had expected.

I saw one very interesting job, this morning (a postscript 3.0 document) which weighed in at 175MB before compression, and 2.2MB afterward. I'm not sure what was going on there.

-Steve