[cups.general] PPD and File Version

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Aug 23 17:09:55 PDT 2011

On Aug 23, 2011, at 4:11 PM, Mike McArthur wrote:
> When I go to add a printer I get this error when it goes through our ppd files:
>
> Bad driver information file "/usr/share/cups/model/epson9.ppd.gz"!

That sounds like you haven't compiled CUPS with zlib.

> If I decompress the file and modify the "File version" the PPD file is read
>
> Example:
>
> Bad driver information file "/usr/share/cups/model/HP_LaserJet_m4345mfp.ppd.gz"
>
> #$:/usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs/hp # gunzip -d HP_LaserJet_4345_MFP.ppd.gz
> #$:/usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs/hp # vi HP_LaserJet_4345_MFP.ppd
> changes *FileVersion: "1.1.0 X" to *FileVersion: "1.5.0 X"

That shouldn't matter at all - FileVersion is informational, and we don't use it anywhere...

> And I am now able to use the PPD file.
>
> I have roughly over 1500 ppd files and am wondering a few things
>
> 1) What is "File Version" in the ppd file?

Just a bit of information indicating the version of the PPD file (or the dependent filters). We don't use it for CUPS specifically, although there are tools (along with the Mac OS X Software Update program) that will use it to determine whether a newer driver exists for a queue.

> 2) Is there a collection of PPD files for cups 1.4.8?  I see that I can download individulat ppd files

There are several collections used by the various Linux distros, particularly for Gutenprint, HPLIP, and Foomatic.