[cups.general] Browseing befuddlement

P. Larry Nelson lnelson at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 25 11:32:54 PDT 2011

How can I get a system on LAN A to see my printers on LAN B?

In a simple test case, I added BrowseAllow <ip-addr of system on LAN A>
as well as BrowseAddress <ip-addr of system on LAN A> (when just the above
didn't seem to work) to cupsd.conf.  Restarted cups.

Running cups 1.3.7-18 on linux RHEL 5.5 on LAN B.
All linux and Mac systems on LAN B can see the networked printers on LAN B.
System on LAN A is a Mac running OSX 10.4.11.

With the Mac connected to LAN A, I did the following:

System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> Printing
- At this point no printers appear
- Click on the "+" to add printers
- Printer Browser shows shared and Bonjour printers on LAN A, but none
   of the printers on LAN B show up

Obviously I'm lacking some key conceptual understanding on this whole
browseing thing.  What am I missing?

Thanks!
- Larry

--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group