Probles with CUPS Hanging Up Frequently

Donovan Murray donovan.murray at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 14:03:02 PDT 2011

I am running SUSE Enterprise Linux. serving up an application for roughly 150 users. There are 100 serial printers connected via Perle Terminal Device Servers to and configured on the system.

My problems is that very frequently CUPS halts and all printing stops. The admin then has to go into /var/spool/cups and deletes all the files in there (C# and D# files). He also deleted all the files in /var/spool/cups/tmp and then restarts CUPS before anyone is able to print. Can some one please explain this to me?

When I read /var/log/cups/error_log there are lines containing Print_job: too many jobs. max jobs is 500. I just do not believe that we are maintaining 500 jobs in memory at any one time. How can I check this?

Thanks in advance for your answers.