[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3911: cupsaddsmb fails if drivers for Win98 are present

Paolo Saggese pmsa4-cups at yahoo.it
Thu Aug 4 02:31:33 PDT 2011

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

Also the problem is there since quite a long time!

The problem appeared with migration from Debian Lenny to Squeeze, Mandriva
2009.x to 2010.x, ecc.

That is, with migration from CUPS 1.3.x to 1.4.x

Looking at the cupsaddsmb.c source code, I see that at a certain point
there have been a somewhat radical change. In older versions the samba
commands where hard-coded in that file, while in never ones it only  calls
functions defined elsewhere.

If this change did happen in between 1.3.x -> 1.4.x, than I would highly
suspect that.

OTOH, why should / how could it be a SAMBA problem? It works perfectly for
all other drivers, it fails only with Win98 ones. What could be the
difference, from samba side? AFAIK, it's just mkdir/file copy. :-?

But indeed it may be related to some changes in Samba: don't forget that
extra ":NULL:" string in the command line: with it it fails, without it it
works. Again, why is it there? what it is/was intended for?

BTW, FYI: samba have changed from ver. 3.2.5 (Debian Lenny) and 3.3.2
(Mandriva 2009) to 3.5.x (both Debian Squeeze & Mandriva 2010).

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3911
Version: 1.4-current
Fix Version: Third-party