CUPS + DOS printing via Windows

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Sun Dec 4 13:07:30 PST 2011

Alexandre Paulino Sierra da Silva wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm having problems printing from a MS-DOS program (written in Clipper, my
> print server Debian Squeeze and CUPS 1.4.4, my printer HP Laserjet 1200),
> the font size is printed as 10cpp, but in the program have commands to
> print it in 15cpp. I'm sure the program is correct, because it works
> printing to Windows, and used to work on my old server running Debian
> Squeeze and CUPS 1.3.x. The print port is captured by NET USE. An
> interesting detail is, in my old server there was no PPD file in
> /etc/cups/ppd, but if I try to remove this file in my new server the
> printer stop working.
>
> Any clue?
>
> Thank you and best regards.

As the printer speaks both PCL and PS, and the DOS program probably emits
ASCII with some ESC codes (a subset of PCL), you should set up a raw queue
for your printer (using the lpadmin command; AFAIK setting up a raw queue
using the web interface is a little bit tricky).

If that does not work immediatley, please switch CUPS to debug-logging and
post the portion of the error_log containing the messages of a test print
job.

Helge